Reasonable Nuts

Sometimes nuts. Always reasonable. We are REASONABLE NUTS.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

InstaSkinny

Blogging. Personal music mixing. Homebrewing. The Shangri-La Diet.

What do all these things have in common?

They all became popular after they piqued Glenn Reynolds' interest. Well, except for the last one . . . yet.

The diet is going well. I've found I've had the best results with 4 tablespoons of canola a day--2 each morning and night. This is higher than recommended, but shouldn't be too harmful, about a extra cookie a day. I'm still eating much less than I use to. After counting the calories I've eaten daily (with this useful site), and the calories someone of my height and weight burns (with this useful site), I should be running approximately a 500 calorie-a-day deficit--roughly a pound a week.

This isn't bad; I wouldn't mind being at my target weight in a year. But what is best about this diet is the freedom to eat what I want. It's nice not to spend lots of money on food, either on low-carb foods or junk foods. It's nice to be able to eat dinner with my wife, and not cook our separate meals, which she enjoys. It's nice not to feel guilty eating. For these reasons alone, the diet is worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been blogging the Shangri-La diet too. Found that the sugar water was NOT working for me, so I've restarted the diet with ELOO. May switch to canola for cost reasons... Are you finding it difficult to actually take the oil, or does it get easier with time? Anyway, I find the diet does work, and it's not deprivation-based, which is great. It's awesome being even bigger on the diet, because by dropping to about 1500 calories, I can burn a pound or more per day right now. That really helps the motivation factor too. Good luck, hope you get the results you want!

5/18/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

The only "easy" way to take the oil for me has been to float it on top of water. Otherwise, I just toss it in and wash it down with a little water or sugar water.

Of course I've only been doing this since November and 60 pounds ago, and I'd rather drink the oil that stay fat, and many people report that the oil gets easier. It just has not for me.

6/02/2006 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home